Friday, March 21, 2008

It's bothering me.

With time on my hands and a long weekend this presents an opportunity for a blog barrage! So beware one and all as I jump on my 'virtual soapbox' (as my sister would call it!) and express my humble opinion. What more of an ideal forum could there be?

Quite often, I find, I watch the world news with interest and wonder from the relative isolation of my comfy couch in my harbour view apartment. Some of the things I see bother me and I find I am actually vehmenently passionate about. In thoughts and conversations, I am disturbed by events and actions that I see taking place and often find myself motivated to take action, get involved, take a stance or join a movement about what I think is right or wrong. Unfortunately quite often I find that this passion and momentum moves no further than the couch and I find my self disappointed in my lack of action for whatever reason.

There are two issues recently that just will not sit on the couch anymore and I feel need a broader voice. The first issue that I am glad has received a much higher profile in recent months here in Australia is that of illegal Japanese whaling activities in the Southern Ocean.

Commercial whaling has been globally banned since 1986 by the International Whaling Commission (IWC). Japan's whaling program that it calls scientific and claims is legal under IWC rules, provides for a self-imposed quota of up to 440 minke whale stocks annually, and every second year it concentrates this effort on the waters of eastern Antarctica.
These waters include a 200-mile wide stretch adjacent to Australia’s Antarctic territory, in which more than 1300 whales were killed by Japanese company Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha between 2000 and 2006. Kyodo Senpaku Kaishahas a permit to kill 935 minke and 50 fin whales in Antarctica this season, and HSI estimates that 90% of these would be killed within the Australian Whale Sanctuary.
This year there has been a much higher media profile attached to the plight of these beautiful and intelligent creatures. This is mainly due to the efforts of both an organisation called The Sea Shepherd http://www.seashepherd.org/australia/ and also Greenpeace. Hats off to those who use innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities in an effort safeguard the biodiversity of our delicately-balanced ocean ecosystems so as to ensure their survival for future generations.

Watch this You Tube video and you will see just what I mean:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHm_busA-o









The second issue that is eating away at me is the violence currently being experienced in Tibet. The violence comes in the light of the anniversary of March 1959 when China marched on Tibet with the result being the death of over 87,000 Tibetans.

Having travelled to Tibet this time last year I was shocked at how repressed both the people and their culture were in their own land. The Chinese had marched into this land and taken it's people to within a breath of life with it's stranglehold by an iron fist.
I remember the fear I felt as we cautiously stopped at checkpoint after Chinese checkpoint to show our documents and cargo. Tibetans and foreigners alike are not allowed to have in their possession their own music or express their own culture for fear of having it confiscated or being arrested. Many of the young Tibetans have fled the country. Many are still trying to flee. Just while we were there a young Tibetan nun was shot dead by Chinese authorities trying to make the mountain pass (a good 4 days trek at high altitude) to Nepal with some 20 others. Those who are left are the elderly clinging to their religion and the young still living in the vain hope of a free Tibet. The Tibetan population now only makes up 20% of the population of Tibet. The rest are Han Chinese.








Now that the suppression and disgracefully poor quality of life have become too much and those with any energy and anger left with a voice have tried to rise, China once again flexes it's hard faced muscle. They will squash them. And we will not see. We will not see because the controls are so tight on foreigners, let alone journalists, coming into the country that we can never see. China will 'save face' before it's moment of glory, the Beijing Olympics, by eradicating what is left of the beautiful spirit of Tibet and it's people.












And who will stop them? I wish with all my heart there was someone. But I know that in all likely hood there won't be. China, is a superpower, possibly the next America (now that really scares me!) They are a growing economic strength with an overwhelmingly large and loyal population. Who will stand to them and interfere? I feel sad and powerless for these poor peace loving people who have had everything taken from them; not least their humility and their pride but now also their lives.












Perhaps we cannot get past the fact that Tibet is now part of China. The fight has long gone. However there are still issues here of human rights and freedom of speech that are being ignored by the international political community. The atrocities that are happening cannot be ignored. China needs to be brought to call on how it governs internally. Trust me, as a tourist who while standing at a checkpoint was told I would have my camera confiscated if I took photos, and this was during a period of non-violence, we are not seeing a fraction what is happening there in Tibet.
Perhaps this is the best thing that I have read with respect to how we can influence China and affect historic choice is this.

China does care about its international reputation. Its economy is totally dependent on “Made in China” exports that we all buy, and it is keen to make the Olympics in Beijing this summer a celebration of a new China that is a respected world power.
President Hu needs to hear that ‘Brand China’ and the Olympics can succeed only if he makes the right choice. But it will take an avalanche of global people power to get his attention. Click below to join me and sign a petition to President Hu calling for restraint in Tibet and dialogue with the Dalai Lama — and tell absolutely everyone you can right away. The petition is organized by Avaaz, and they are urgently aiming to reach 1 million signatures to deliver directly to Chinese officials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.